Saturday, April 13, 2019

don't talk to me before I've gazed into my abyss






Reflections from one of the schools I'm working as a teaching artist at, as required by the program. These are some of my experiences working with about 140 4th graders at a school in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn for 6 hours every Friday. The theme for the mural we are developing with them is games, and the ways we play with each other.

Class #3
It's all still quite a lot to take in, and I feel less like an adult and more like a pair of lungs and eyes and a heart, beating and breathing and seeing out of habits I'm so glad exist independently of my conscious choices. Stuff is happening, drawings are being made, and connection is manifesting, there is just so little time to do anything but constantly respond rn, with so many classes and hungry faces stacked back to back to back. I'll find the rhythm, I know I will.


Class #6
Gosh where do I start. It feels really clear how much the kids need a space to make their own rules, and something about today's task really gave them a container to explore that. Split into groups where they could pick and choose how they were involved, what they were interested or felt they had to offer, letting them organize themselves was devastatingly beautiful to watch. A few of the more intense students really embraced the role of petite community organizer, one of them expressed a kindness and respect for his peer's abilities that was so different from his usual antagonistic tone. It was also interesting to realize that for every shy student that felt helpless but didnt know how to reach out, there was another student excited to work with them to come up w something together. I feel like I've had the equivalent of a religious experience today.









No comments: