Monday, July 30, 2018

a woman tried to hand me a pamphlet titled 'the secret to happiness'. I politely declined and kept walking



listening to the scenic designer all evening
I am drowning in all the things I don't know yet
I do know the powerfully successful ways I get noticed
begin to rise above
but here is the tender space
where I have to contend with my fallibility
and the designer was so tender with me, when he so often is not to anyone
my colors are on point, instinctual, noticeably correct
but the application I put on, then wipe off, put on, then wipe off

The color is good, you just have to trust it, he told me.

His aged friend worked with us in the quiet of the theatre
as they rambled and told battle stories
they talked about a color that was missing
agreed
their intimate awareness of the thing-that-was-color
a thread connecting them to something
in the space between and underneath the words they were using
and I realized I had cut that out of my life for some reason
chosen to learn the languages of others

rather than speak in my own, with people who were fluent

getting off at my subway stop, at the edge of tears
I am full of so many feelings
I am amazed I can keep moving one foot in front of the other
choices I've made about the future choking me with their definitiveness
humbleness, day to day admitting where I come up shortness
potentially living constantly in a state of not being good at a new job, different job
fear of picking a direction I won't like the taste of, that I will regret putting in my mouth
anger at friends helping to dig this hole I might never climb out of
the prism I always talk about wanting to be like

this is what it feels like I realize

and maybe I can feel all of these things
knowing the foundation has been laid
and inertia set in 
when 
in a moment of clarity I made a choice about my future
maybe I can feel all of these things 
and still trust my instincts
let one foot fall in front of the other on their own
while I take the time to savor each refraction, emotion

without getting lost

thinking about the designer who we had been so angry at earlier 
for the impracticality, unnecessary grandiosity of the set
hearing them talk reminded me of Tony from the carpenter's union
retired, but kept showing up
not for the money, but because that is what he is shaped like
and I realized this lame little theatre with its blue haired audience
was a twilight stage for them to live in the shadow of what they had once been
because that is what they are shaped like
and all of my frustration shifted into love

a clue.

a thread.





No comments: